Author Topic: Subwoofer Installation Help  (Read 4448 times)

guest6582

Subwoofer Installation Help
« on: January 23, 2017, 04:30:32 PM »
Hi,
I have a 2005 Honda Jazz S with everything as stock and I have just purchased my first subwoofer/amplifier enclosure (FLI Trap FT12A-F6 12" 1200W) and with it came a Vibe Slick 8-Gauge Amplifier Wiring Kit.

I was enquiring to how I would install this to the OEM head unit as money is tight (student problems) and I cannot afford a new head unit/fascia. I can't seem to find a tutorial or any installation guide on how to do such a task via YouTube or through multiple Google searches.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
This is my first time doing anything like this so I am an amateur.

Links to both the wiring kit and subwoofer.
http://tinyurl.com/VibeSlick8gWK
http://tinyurl.com/FLI12F61200W

guest1372

• Topic Starter
Re: Subwoofer Installation Help
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 02:36:07 PM »
The standard head unit only has speaker outputs, no line outs I'm afraid.  You can convert speaker to line level with another kit, but you'd probably be better off with a proper head unit in the first place.  The double din units and frames are all over eBay, and if you keep the original parts you can always transfer everything to your next car.

There is a well illustrated guide to removing and gaining access to the head unit here: http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8514.0

Sorry to not be more upbeat, but I'd suggest you start with your source material and work down the chain: Bluetooth streaming, DAB, MP3s on SD card etc. > suitable player > amp > then speakers are the final things to buy.

The easiest upgrade on your car is to add the two rear door speakers, as all the OEM head units have four speaker outs.
--
TG

guest6582

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 04:32:29 PM »
Thank you TG for the detailed response.
I have found an alternate way by connecting an LOC to the rear speaker wires and wiring the sub that way, it is working thus far and gives me a suitable amount of bass.

In the near future I will upgrade to a double din fascia and also an aftermarket headunit but for now my current set up will suffice.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 05:01:28 PM »
Excellent news.
I found these adapters, but can't vouch for what they do to the sound quality but at least using your rear speaker wires gives you some adjustment using the fader on the head unit.  I guess your adapter must be fairly similar. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Level-Speaker-to-Low-Level-RCA-Converter-2-Channel/260469204287

The rear door speakers do help center the sound within the car but I can't be sure if they double the output over just the two front ones.  As you have an S you might want to consider adding the Aux input to the headunit, it's fairly simple and can then be used either directly off your phone or with a bluetooth board.

Possibly worth keeping an eye out for the Bose spare wheel sub units as fitted in Mazdas for others who may be considering similar projects.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest6582

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 03:27:45 PM »
TG,
Where would I be able to find the 6 pin connector for the radio with the wiring? I have looked all around but can't seem to locate one.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 05:10:01 PM »
They seem pretty much unobtainable except in wholesale quantities, but we are lucky that the input is a standard 0.1" pitch single row, so a DuPont connector (same as radio control servo plug or Arduino header connector) fits just fine although it does not click into place.
I've got a bag of them so if you PM* your details I can send you a blank one when I'm back down south, actually it would probably be easier for you if I crimped 6" of wire for a bluetooth board or a 3.5mm stereo headphone lead on directly as the connections are quite fiddly without the correct tool.

--
TG

* PMs require users have sent 10 posts.

Tags:

anything