Author Topic: Honda Jazz joins Autocar's long term fleet  (Read 11095 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Honda Jazz joins Autocar's long term fleet
« on: August 18, 2016, 08:27:44 PM »

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/our-cars/honda-jazz-long-term-test-review-first-report

Autocar are running a 1.3 SE Navi on their long term fleet!

You can follow the reviewer on Twitter:

@MarkRJPearson

If you don't have a Twitter account and would like me to tweet him anything on your behalf please let me know.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
Re: Honda Jazz joins Autocar's long term fleet
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 09:49:42 AM »
It must have been frustrating for Autocar not to be able to load the car with £10K+ worth of options, as they usually do.

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 09:34:49 AM »
Autocar's comparison of the three generations is interesting, and generally fair I think.  However, I think the criticism of the Mk3 being noisier than the Mk2 is partly down to comparing CVT with manual, as the writer suggests.  My experience has been the other way round (i.e. manual Mk2 and CVT Mk3) and I find the CVT quieter at motorway speeds because the engine revs are only around 2500.   I have not noticed more road noise either, but this may be down to different tyres - Dunlop 2030 on the MK 2 and Michelin ES on the MK 3.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 11:25:40 AM »
Yes I thought the comparison was very good as well. I've said similar regarding the Mk3 myself. The Mk3 has a few more toys but they don't seem to have been put together with any great amount of thought. The Mk2 felt like it had been designed and built by a Jazz enthusiast who knew what the rest of us wanted.

We can only hope that word of this gets back to Honda and that the Mk4 (if there is one) goes back to the ideals of the Mk2.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 01:17:07 PM »
The more I read and hear about the MK3 the more I am pleased I decided keep my MK2 and not to change to the newer one, most of the problems appear minor and niggling but unfortunately do nothing for Honda's reputation, I think it will be back to a Civic or I am considering the Toyota Auris.

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 05:59:30 PM »
The more I read and hear about the MK3 the more I am pleased I decided keep my MK2 and not to change to the newer one, most of the problems appear minor and niggling but unfortunately do nothing for Honda's reputation, I think it will be back to a Civic or I am considering the Toyota Auris.
Or a Lexus CT?

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 09:35:44 AM »

Having had Mk1 and Mk2 before the Mk3 (all CVT) I have no hesitation in saying that the Mk3 is a big improvement. Not perfect and some evidence of quality drop but not as much as implied in this forum. (Some of it is weight reduction).

I appreciate the much maligned Infotainment system which has been mostly trouble free for me (two updates required).

The different driving characteristics are result the dual cycle and are what give the extra economy.

Biggest benefits for me are economy, steering and rear leg room. I still believe there is not another car with the same big inside-small outside capability. I have no qualms about taking adult passengers in the back for long journeys, and have fitted eight dining chairs in the car (not at the same time!).

Choosing with head instead of heart I don't think it has a serious rival for my priorities.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 09:38:16 AM by mikebore »

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 10:37:04 AM »
Now that the infotainment unit is fixed (RC4+the most recent App Center updates) I'm a lot happier with my car. I still think the revised boot floor is cheap and naff but that's the only inherent flaw I'd really complain about.

The rest are just niggles:
The auto-wiper triggering is not as good as the Mk2's but it's not awful. Just needs more frequent speed adjustments and sometimes triggers on condensation which is silly because the wipers can't get rid of that.

The wing mirrors won't rotate far enough to show the curb near the rear wheels.

Accelerator control/response is not always predictable and sometimes a bit violent (lifting off after accidentally triggering kickdown) or dead (pulling away from junctions). They might both be features of the CVT which makes them more annoying.

And one possibly inherent fault:
Some people including me have encountered issues starting the car. Mine almost always starts first time but during autumn/winter often seems to be reluctant. Even on the rare occasions when it doesn't start first time it always bursts into life on the second attempt.

But overall I'd say the Mk3 is an improvement on the Mk2. A lot of my complaints stem from having owned both a Mk1 and Mk2 (CVT in all cases) and having developed something of a love of the model. I used say I was a Honda Jazz driver. With the Mk3 I'm just someone who drives a Honda Jazz at the moment.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 11:45:07 AM »

The wing mirrors won't rotate far enough to show the curb near the rear wheels.

We've had a discussion about this in another thread....have you adjusted the range of travel? I have no problems seeing the rear wheels.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 12:00:50 PM »
We've had a discussion about this in another thread....have you adjusted the range of travel? I have no problems seeing the rear wheels.
I tried pushing the mirror as far as I dared but it wouldn't budge.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 12:04:31 PM »

Maybe it is stuck, or you weren't brave enough!

Did you try pushing in the other direction to learn how much pressure is required?

guest6570

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 05:10:34 PM »

When you say pushing are the mirrors manual adjustment? Mine are electronically adjusted and I have no problem in adjusting them to see the rear wheels which I find essential to get into my rather narrow garage (I have ladders down the length of the garage wall and can only see them as I reverse in with the mirrors adjusted to see the rear wheels).

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 05:20:22 PM »

When you say pushing are the mirrors manual adjustment? Mine are electronically adjusted and I have no problem in adjusting them to see the rear wheels which I find essential to get into my rather narrow garage (I have ladders down the length of the garage wall and can only see them as I reverse in with the mirrors adjusted to see the rear wheels).

No they are electric in the Mk3 like the Mk2. But in both you can adjust the starting and finishing positions of the electric adjustment by pushing firmly on the glass at the top or bottom. It clicks through different positions. I have had to do this sometimes when the car has been cleaned and the glass has been polished too vigorously such that the position has changed.

As you say, properly adjusted wing mirrors can see the rear wheels using the electric control.

To set it correctly, with the motor control in the lowest position, just push on the glass so that the rear wheels can be seen. The motor travel is sufficient that the higher positions then cover normal use.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 05:23:05 PM by mikebore »

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 11:08:03 AM »
Further to my Reply #5 in this thread yesterday I traded in my Jazz at my local Honda dealer but not for another Jazz, having had several Honda vehicles in the past I have kept faith with them and bought a one owner low mileage late 2015 Civic 1.8 i-VTEC SE Plus Auto in brilliant sporty blue, however as an ex Jazz owner I shall carry on keeping an interest in this forum. :)

Tags: features 

anything