Author Topic: Weak handbrake on cars fitted with rear disc brakes  (Read 50071 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Weak handbrake on cars fitted with rear disc brakes
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2017, 09:11:57 PM »
Reviving this thread,  I replaced the rear discs on my wife's MK2 in October last year, they were pretty much rusted away and useless, at the same time I fitted steel wheels with winter tyres on them, the steel wheels with wheel trims pretty much enclose the brakes completely, unlike alloys which let all the crap get to the brakes. I have just put the alloys back on and rear discs are squeaky clean. Can also confirm that ride is much harder with 185/55 16inch than it was with higher profile 175/65 15inch nokian winters and noisier as well. it is the second winter the tyres have been on and they are showing very little wear, in fact they seem to be wearing better than the summer tyres. 

My conclusions are that if steel wheels had been fitted since car was new the rear discs would have been kept in better condition, that winter tyres can be quieter and wear better than summers, and the 185 16" tyres should never have been fitted to Jazz as they make the ride considerably worse and are much more expensive.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2017, 10:11:27 PM »
I have steel wheels on my Jazz and the discs are immaculate. I have no idea how long they have been on the car, but I have had the car for 9 months and I know the dealer who sold it to me didn't replace them, as he was very careful to detail every thing he had done to the car and itemised everything he had fitted.
I have also found that narrower, higher profile tyres are always quieter and more comfortable. I had a SAAB 99 (two in fact), and the huge narrow tyres were very comfortable and superb in snow.
Modern cars are fitted with wide, low profile tyres, which in my opinion swap comfort for style and a bit extra grip in the dry.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:16:54 PM by Jocko »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2017, 01:51:48 PM »
and the huge narrow tyres were very comfortable and superb in snow.
Modern cars are fitted with wide, low profile tyres, which in my opinion swap comfort for style and a bit extra grip in the dry.

and useless in thick snow..

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2017, 07:10:08 PM »
My daughter had a Vauxhall Frontera, a goodly number of years ago, and it had wide sports wheels. Even with its knobbly tyres and four wheel drive it was useless in the snow.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2017, 08:50:39 PM »
My daughter had a Vauxhall Frontera, a goodly number of years ago, and it had wide sports wheels. Even with its knobbly tyres and four wheel drive it was useless in the snow.

True,  the extra weight of many 4WD vehicles works against them in slippery conditions because the heavier the vehicle the more power has to be put through tyre contact patch to climb a slope,  and also braking can be a problem with extra weight overcoming any grip the tyres may have.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: