Author Topic: 2016 - Tyre reccomendations.  (Read 10601 times)

guest4219

2016 - Tyre reccomendations.
« on: July 27, 2016, 06:10:45 PM »
I might need new tyres for my Jazz 2002 CVT, as not being the only owner(!) I'm not sure for  how long the existing Continentals have been on. They still have more than the recommended tread, but I'm wondering about age related longevity.
I woud like to look for tyres which have, as a priority, low cabin noise and best ride comfort.
Any up to date real world suggestions?

guest1372

• Topic Starter
Re: 2016 - Tyre reccomendations.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 06:37:38 PM »
Rule out Bridgestone RE040 original fitment on 15"alloys, they have a very square profile, quite expensive and not very comfortable.

Yokohama BluEarth AE01 seem OK for comfort and value but only rate C/C/69

The Mk2 owners rave about Michelin Energy Saver.
--
TG

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 08:36:21 PM »
Can't go wrong with Michelin ES on any car for the combinations of long life, quiet ride, low air loss and good grip in pretty much any condition,  may not be quite as good as some other tyres at certain things,  but as a good all round (only available in round by the way) very capable tyre it is to be recommended, also found the combination of Jazz MK1 and Michelin ES to be good on snow. 

the year and week of manufacture is moulded into every tyre - see this link.

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 08:38:20 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 07:06:07 AM »
fwiw, I'm having 4 new Avon ZV7 185/55R15 fitted later today at ATS.  I chose them for lower price, 'A' rated in wet and low noise.  I do low mileage so mpg and life are less important to me btw.  The ZV7 is classed as a Performance tyre, so ride comfort is unlikely to be as good as say the more expensive Michelin EnergySaver, recommended by Culzean.

A relative is pleased with the 17" ZV7s recently fitted to her R56 Mini, replacing the harsh riding Dunlop runflats.  Only time will tell whether the Avons are any good on both cars.

I did have UniRoyal Rainsport 3 for similar price from Blackcircles on my shopping list but I think they may be noisier than the Avons.

The existing UniRoyal Rallye 550 were great especially in wet (unlike horrible Bridgestones) but one suffered an irreparable puncture.  I replaced it with a Continental Premium Contact 2 and feel it is noisier than the UniRoyal on certain surfaces.  Last week I noticed a fine crack running entire circumference within two of the three grooves of the Conti - see attached picture.   Tyre still had 5-6mm tread but is 7.5 years old on rear axle.  I think Continental own UniRoyal so it is disappointing to discover the degradation in the 'premium' brand tyre.

Only reviews I could find on the ZV7 are posted here:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Avon/ZV7.htm

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 08:24:29 AM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 06:44:14 PM »
I'm running Kumho tyres on the rear and will replace the Continentals on the front with Kumhos if/when required.

Kumho are OEM tyre suppliers for the MINI Cooper John Cooper Works GP, so if BMW have confidence in them to supply the fastest of the previous shape MINIs then that's a good sign. And the last time I checked they were the cheapest branded tyres on Blackcircles.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:22:48 AM by RichardA »

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 05:34:00 PM »

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 08:37:54 PM »
In my experience, Michelin Energy Savers last for 37k miles on the front, 75k on the rear, but that includes quite a bit of motorway mileage.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 07:04:09 AM »
This link might be useful - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/Honda/Jazz.htm

not sure how valid this sites reviews are - if you click on tyre name or (reviews) in LH column reviews state these reviewers had these tyres on other cars not the Jazz,  so how do they relate to Jazz usage ???
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 07:08:56 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 10:16:09 AM »
JazzyJJ 's review latest review is 2012 and tyres have moved on since then.
The comparison is interesting all the same though I do like my E/S tyres that did 47,000 on the front before I changed them though well still legal.
There is quite a lot of personal preference and perception on what makes a good tyre. Speed driven, handling, terrain, climate and budget. I used to work as a mechanic and did a lot of fleet work for a company. they were a multi-million pound company and they would only fit Michelin. This was because they were tried and tested and gave good value for money etc Being poor at the time with a young family i did buy a set of CHEAP tyres from Kwik fit which really did go oval so I gave up on cheap tyres. I went to mid-range versions and didn't have any problems on a Note or Berlingo with mid-range.
Michelin's was something I aspired to at the time and when I bought my Jazz with ES tyres I have stuck with them and feel happy and reassured they are fit for purpose in my estimation (purely personal).
As I said above, my choice in tyres is personal, there are a lot of considerations when buying tyres and I'm sure previous experience carries a lot of weight with peoples choice of tyres. If someone said to me fit Dunlop (a respected brand) and they think they are brilliant I would still fit Michelin. No doubt the "which tyre" debate will rumble on for ever but at the end of the day a personal choice for whatever reason will always win.

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 04:24:15 PM »
JazzyJJ 's review latest review is 2012 and tyres have moved on since then.

If you click on a tyre in the chart the reviews are 2016 2015 etc so its not out of date - but yes, the cars driven are variable but probably 1 of the reviews for that tyre related to a Honda Jazz.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 11:30:42 AM »
Hi JazzyJJ my mistake, sorry I didn't follow the links through the site as I have just followed the Michelin ES AS and indeed that is a 2014 latest review. At the end of the day as I said it's horses for courses and perceptions on what is a good tyre.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 07:05:38 PM »
fwiw, I'm having 4 new Avon ZV7 185/55R15 fitted later today at ATS.  I chose them for lower price, 'A' rated in wet and low noise.  I do low mileage so mpg and life are less important to me btw.  The ZV7 is classed as a Performance tyre, so ride comfort is unlikely to be as good as say the more expensive Michelin EnergySaver, recommended by Culzean.

Reviving this thread.

I have just had the alloys refurbished on my Civic and it was hardly worth having the old Michelin ES refitted as all were within 1mm of wear bar.  I always had Michelin ES before because I was regularly doing up to 30K (miles) a year up until I retired last year - I decided with the mileage I do nowadays I did not need the renowned long mileage of Michelin ES at £75 a pop so looked at Avon ZV7 at £50 - I have read good things about Avon motorbike tyres and good reviews of ZV7.  I have been running around on them for 2 weeks now and they are a quiet tyre and a better ride than Michelin ES,  dry grip is excellent as is directional stability - have not had chance to try them in the wet so far,  but they get 'A' for wet grip.  Probably won't be able to comment on wear rate for at least a couple of years at my present rate of mileage LOL.  They are a good quality tyre with twin ply steel belt etc.  I am very happy with them so far.

Avon don't appear to make 185/55R16 tyre (but then not many makers do) - they do ZV7 in 195/55R16 and they do the 175/65R15 size as a ZT5 model tyre.

Not sure about its winter / snow performance but I have winter tyres on steel rims in garage anyway.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 07:28:26 PM by culzean »

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 12:38:56 PM »
I might need new tyres for my Jazz 2002 CVT, as not being the only owner(!) I'm not sure for  how long the existing Continentals have been on. They still have more than the recommended tread, but I'm wondering about age related longevity.
I woud like to look for tyres which have, as a priority, low cabin noise and best ride comfort.

Look at the tyre sidewall on it will be eg DOT 3412 ie week 34 of 2012 this is the DOT number = age of the tyre , any tyes over 6 years need to be checked & replaced. Go for the premuim brands use mytyres or tyre leader for online quotes then try your local tyre depot ask themn to match or equa £ inc fitting balancing etc.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 03:00:40 PM »

Look at the tyre sidewall on it will be eg DOT 3412 ie week 34 of 2012 this is the DOT number = age of the tyre , any tyes over 6 years need to be checked & replaced. Go for the premuim brands use mytyres or tyre leader for online quotes then try your local tyre depot ask themn to match or equa £ inc fitting balancing etc.

Try Avon ZV7  or ZT5 (for narrower rims / smaller diameter wheels)- just had some ZV7 on my Civic for a couple of weeks now and very happy with steering, ride and noise level - always had Michelin ES before, but ZV7 £25 pound a tyre cheaper,  I but don't do a high annual mileage any more so don't really need the extra miles that Michelin normally give you (but you do pay for LOL).  ZV7 is 240 for wear,  so not too shabby anyway.

This site shows you how to interpret data printed on a tyre sidewall.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/how-to-read-a-tire-sidewall-feature
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:11:55 PM by culzean »

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 08:24:30 AM »
I've been running Avon ZV7 185/55R15 on my 57 Jazz CVT for over 9 months now.   Sadly, I find the ride to be too firm particularly for some of the poor roads around here at low speed.  I may be wrong, but I think the 'rim protection' offered on this particular size of tyre may be contributing to extra stiffness in tyre wall, which affects the ride.   I previously had UniRoyal Rallye 550 for 8  years and was happy with the softer ride.

The handling is better and steering is lighter compared to the UniRoyals.  May be similar to original fit Bridgestones which I got rid of after a year as I couldn't tolerate bone jarring ride in 2008 when I had a minor back problem.  Avons seem fine in the wet but not driven through any torrential rain lately to really test the Avons.

The Avons seem quiet but because the Jazz has poor suspension and noise suppression, you're more likely to hear the crash and bangs coming from suspension than from the Avons on poor surfaces.   The previous softer riding UniRoyals were better at absorbing road imperfections leading to less suspension noise.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 08:32:30 AM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

Tags: